Thursday, January 31, 2013

No News Is...

... not necessarily good news.

I was reminded by Caroline of Singapore, a good friend and avid reader of this little slice of literary heaven, that it's been 3 weeks since my last post. If that last part sounded like a confession, fine, I confess.

I'm guilty of not wanting to tell you what I'd been hoping not to hear, but what I did hear. The chemo I'd been on since October, the one that gave me the Mr. Clean look, slowed things down, but didn't show any signs of putting me into remission. The cancer that's in my lungs is still there, still active, and still growing, albeit very slowly. 

So as Huey Lewis would say, I want a new drug!

The good news is there are new drugs, and at least one of them is on Dr Z's radar for me. But before we start a new treatment, I'm going to see the Wizard at Memorial Sloan Kettering in NYC next week. For those who don't know, I saw the Wizard when all this started and a couple of times since then. She eats, sleeps, and breathes colon cancer, which sounds like a horrible way to live, but it does make her the guru, or, as I like to say, the Wizard.

In the mean time, you know me, I'm living. I'm stopping in Paris again on my way to Prague for work after the NYC trip, and then I have to start getting serious about training for my next half marathon (The Pittsburgh Half in May). I continue to be amazed that in over two years, since my back pain was resolved, I've never had any symptoms of the disease - just side effects from the medicine. If they didn't keep scanning me, we still wouldn't know that it had spread to my lungs. It's weird. 

If we do nothing, eventually these lung spots would compromise my breathing. But we're still a long way from that, and I'm looking forward to figuring out what the next step is going to be. 

Wish me luck... Luck with the Paris Metro that is. Last time I got on a train headed the wrong way. Stupid French-only signage!

2 comments:

  1. Brrr, it will be cold in Prague. If you have time and want to see something amazing. Visit the Jewish Ghetto, Josefov.

    http://www.pragueexperience.com/places.asp?PlaceID=597

    It is quite remarkable. Not to sound morbid but the cemetery is beautiful. I visited it on a crisp clear sunny fall day a year ago and will never forget the hope that it brought to my life.

    Martha Henson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Cousin Myles,
    You are a remarkable man. You were always a remarkable kid too, so it has stayed with you. I am not happy that the chemo did not do it's full job, but I am very positive at Sloan Kettering, the Wixard works her magic. She will check you out and decide what path is best for you.

    You are so courageous and positive and your outlook is more than half the battle of drugs. But, no less a winning combination. I miss you, all of your family and our relatives and I know we are all cheering you on, in your marathons and your battle with the cells that have not been listening. I think, once you see Dr. Z, you will have new ways of conquering this once again.

    I wish you well, Cuz, I love you and we are all rooting from the sidelines for a great run and to hear your next news. Please take that love with you on the battleground and at the Doctor!!!!

    Kisses and hugs to Marcie and your kids.

    Love you,
    Lynne & Family.

    ReplyDelete