Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Live from Drug Trial Central!

Algernon. That's the only well-known lab rat I can think of. Well, Algernon and now, me.

They treat me better than the typical lab rat. While I was required to be here from 6a to 6p today, I was allowed to leave during the two hour windows between blood draws. Speaking of which, there were 6 times today, each requiring between two and five vials of red and white cell cocktails. They say that's less than half of what you would give when you donate blood.

I've also had two sets of EKG's done, 7 hours apart.

My friend David stopped by this morning. Our conversations haven't changed much after 35 years. Insert "wife" for "girlfriend" and "kids" for "cars" and it's pretty much the same thing, only without an Atari controller in our hands to keep us busy between quips. He and Danny have been my most frequent companions during these long days at the Doc's office, and I really do appreciate the company. I guess my hair's not grown back as much as I thought because nobody here at the Northside office asked if we were brothers.

So here's the plan. Tomorrow I come back for more blood work around 6:30a, and I'll have to hang around for an hour or so after dosing. I continue to take the medicine daily for a total of 7 days. Then I come back next Tuesday for a bit. The whole cycle repeats in week 3, and somewhere in there I'll have CT Scans to start determining if this new drug is working for me.

Day one was uneventful, which is exactly what I was hoping for. All the other patients are gone now, and in another 90 minutes, I will be too.




No comments:

Post a Comment