Thursday, July 7, 2011

Post Race Report

Adam and I had a great time running Peachtree, not to mention a Great Time (under 66 minutes).  As you can see by the photo, it was a family affair, assuming an affair involves two people getting sweaty while 3 others cheer them on (Marcie's behind the camera of course).

I was so proud of Adam during the race. He had never run longer than 5 miles before and the conditions at the start were as bad as they've been in 14 years (extra hot and super humid). Still, by the time we crested the hill by Piedmont Hospital (sometimes called Heartbreak Hill or Cardiac Hill), around 4 miles into the run, he was starting to say out loud the things I had planned to say to him:
"OK, that was the last hard hill, right?"
"T-shirt's straight ahead"
"We can do this!"

It was a very cool thing to see him taking on the role of the encourager, even though I didn't need the encouragement. There was no way I wasn't going to match him stride for stride, and when walking, step for step.

I had this sign pasted on my back and received many a compliment along the course, to which I usually responded "thanks, see you at the finish line."


Adam has already asked me what it would take to train for a half-marathon. I felt like Bobby Bonds watching his pre-steroidal offspring Barry lacing up the cleats for the first time. So proud!

A half would be an amazing accomplishment, but we're going to focus on building stamina for shorter stuff for now. And there's no reason we have to be the only Beskinds in the finisher's list next year. Who knows, maybe one day, you'll see all 5 of us kickin' it down Peachtree Street!

PS - My book is very near completion. Hit the link on the right or go to www.facebook.com/cancerhumor  and "like" so I can let you know the minute it's released!

2 comments: