Monday, July 25, 2011

Live From the Chemo Room #10



Run!: 26.2 Stories of Blisters and Bliss

Back home in the ATL after 4 days in the NYC. It was hot there, damn hot. Now I've lived in Atlanta all my life; I've been in humid Houston in August, arid Phoenix in July, and Dallas one summer when it was 105 with a breeze that felt like a hair dryer in your face. But I've never been anywhere hotter than Manhattan last Friday, with the actual temp at 104 and the "real feel" well into the one-teens. Walking the mile or so from South Street Seaport to Chinatown gave me a real appreciation for what people like Dean Karnazes go through running a hundred miles across the Sahara. My friend Brian lent me one of Dean's books recently. It's a great read even if you're not an obsessive runner like me, or a kick-ass triathlete like Brian.




Adam and I had a great time despite the weather. We went inside the flagship Apple store, FAO Schwarz, Toys R'Us, M&M World, Dylan's Candy Bar, the Hershey Store, and  a slice of Junior's Cheesecake and a heaping bowl of Serendipity's Frozen Hot Chocolate (not on the same day). We did manage to fit in a run in Central Park, as well as a hour of row boats there, and to make sure the trip was culturally redeeming, we went to MoMA and saw Phantom on Broadway. We also stopped by the church that served as sleeping quarters for the rescuers during 9-11 and saw the new construction underway at Ground Zero. Cousin Stan let us onto the roof of his Upper East Side building for great views of 8 counties, and Uncle/Brother Steve took Adam to a music-themed exhibit and to the Skyline park. It was a great trip.

I blew a chance to meet in person with Matthew Zachary, the founder of the I'm Too Young For This cancer foundation (see www.stupidcancer.com ) and the host of The Stupid Cancer show on which I appeared last week. Matthew graciously offered a rain check for the next time I'm in NYC, and I'm looking forward to cashing it in.

The folks at Memorial Sloan Kettering agreed that we're doing the right things with my treatment. We've got some work to do on the genetic testing to try to figure out the source of my cancer and to help understand the risks for my kids, my sister and her kids. Long-term, there may be targeted therapy for specific gene mutations, meaning a real cure for the specific cause of each person's cancer. It may be decades away, but that's where the research is headed.

Back here in the chemo room, I had a good laugh with Jessie, one of the nurses. She always shows me the bag with my medicine in it before she hangs it, just like all the nurses do. For some reason it struck me today that this is one of those moments like when they bring you the wine bottle you've ordered. Yes, the label appears to be what I ordered. I asked her what I'm supposed to do when she hands me the cork. I never really know - are you supposed to smell it, visually inspect it, squeeze it?

All I know is whether I like the wine or not one I drink it. Same with the chemo, as long as it's working (and it is), I like it.

Finally, having now written a book about caring for cancer patients, I got to spend a few minutes on the other side today. I overheard two other patients talking in the chemo lounge about how one of them was used to his chemo sessions in Boston lasting 2 or 3 hours, but for some reason, his session today was going to be more like 5 - 6 hours. I used to have those monster sessions myself, so I know what that's like. He mentioned he hadn't brought enough food with him. My infusion was over about a half-hour later, so I walked over, told him I'd been in his shoes (chair?) before, and offered to pickup some lunch for him. He was very grateful for the Chik-fil-a and I was very happy to have been a caregiver for a change. It really felt good. I'm telling you this not because I'm fishing for compliments, but to remind all of you who know somebody going through cancer or other illness that there are always little things like that you can do to help a patient. I don't even know this guy's name, and I was able to do something really meaningful for him. You can do the same for someone. Just be there for them and seize the opportunity when it arises. Be the Muffin Lady or the Chik-Fil-a guy.

1 comment:

  1. So much in this post. So glad you guys did this trip. Serendipity!

    The heat thing is funny-- after nearly twenty years in Atlanta, I'm always surprised to be in the Northeast during a heat wave and get knocked over by it. Must play out different somehow.

    I love the Chick fil a moment...love how it is a gift in both directions. Can't wait to read your book

    ReplyDelete