Friday, February 17, 2012

Ear's the Update

If you read the title in a Cockney accent, you're my kind of reader!

Mr ear was better, but not 100%, so I called Dr. Z's office yesterday. I'm now taking Super Special Ear Drops which contain 2 more antibiotics and a steroid. So by Saturday, my left ear should be swollen to a size that suggests an otoplasty is in order.

Switching topics - here's an interesting tale from today's lunchtime outing to Jiffy Lube. There were two other customers ahead of me, one of whom was a 6' 8" guy with a buzz cut, who I'd just seen giving a copy of a book to the check-in person at the shop.

Tall guy, it turns out, used to play basketball at Auburn with Charles Barkley. He's an evangelist and author named Mark Cahill. Mark noticed the other customer's Livestrong bracelet and asked him if he had anyone in his family dealing with cancer.  The guy has lost his mom to cancer and his sister is currently battling. Mark offered some words about G-d's plan, and handed the guy a book. Here's where it gets interesting.

It was time for Customer 1 to check out. Mark stepped in fromt and said "I've got this." He paid for the man's oil change! Then he grabbed 4 more copies of his book, put $20 bills in each one, and gave them to the manager to pass on to the rest of the Jiffy Lube employees.

He gave me a pamphlet called "The Most Important Question of All Time" and told me I could have a free book too if I went to his website at www.oneheartbeataway.org The whole thing was strange, and I was left wondering what this guy's deal is. Why the $20 tips to all the employees? Why the free oil change for customer 1, but not for me (not that I needed it, but why?).

I never said a word about my own cancer, my book, etc. I'm debating sending him a copy.




No comments:

Post a Comment