Thursday, March 21, 2013

Of Half-Marathons and Full Hearts

Here's a story about 4 ladies who make me feel good, or at least better than I otherwise would...

Pictured below are Taylor (l) and Trish (r) from Dr. Z's office. The sign in the middle was made by my daughter and her friend, our next door neighbor.


T&T ran the Publix Georgia Half Marathon last Sunday. They both knew of my running history, so we talked often about races. They couldn't believe I ran as much as I did during chemo. Sometimes I felt just the opposite - look how little I'm running.

The Publix Half is a great race, attracting close to 15,000 runners. I've done it myself a few times. Unlike the Savannah Half I've done the last two years, this one's all about the hills. Since I wasn't in race shape. I decided to come out and cheer on two of my favorite healthcare professionals, along with Danny G and many of my fellow Team Phidippides runners.

Taylor was too fast to see me as she rounded the corner from Highland Ave to Virginia, and Trish was only able to slow briefly lest she get trampled by the pack. So they missed the sign I'm holding above.

I wanted to stand out amongst the crowd, and lacking sufficient hair to bother dyeing brightly, a sign seemed like a good idea. Citing a need for good penmanship, I'd asked my daughter to help, and she in turn grabbed our next door neighbor. The two of them came up with this excellent poster, complete with St Patrick's day puns (I Rish you a good, fun race), pot o' gold, etc.

Needless to say the grown up gals were touched and impressed by the younger gals work.

And I'm just the guy who shleps neon-hued poster board from Va-Hi to Johns Creek, making everyone happy in the process.

Including me.


No comments:

Post a Comment