Saturday, February 1, 2014

2/1/14 - Moe's and Joe's

The last few days have been a little tougher.  Myles is eating and drinking less, which I am told is to be expected as part of this process.  But, it's challenging as a good Jewish mother, to restrain myself from acting like one and saying to Myles, in my best Russian-born grandmother accent "Come on, just one more bite.  Do it for me."  But I do restrain myself and encourage everyone else to do the same because, after all, Myles is finally back in control of his body and we need to respect his wishes.  So, I hold myself back, and force food on my children instead, along with the requisite side dish of guilt (I can't completely turn my back on my heritage).

Despite eating and drinking less and resting more, Myles is still himself.  He tires very easily, and although he keeps his eyes closed a lot during the day, as I've warned visitors, he's not asleep and he hears all.  I think one friend now believes me after last night.

Two friends were visiting Myles late last night and were quietly talking at the table in Myles's room sharing some bourbon.  (Side note:  hospices, at least ours,  are very flexible with what you bring in.  The night we moved in, we were told we could bring anything other than an open flame.  I can't remember who then asked, "So we can bring in strippers?"  And was told, "Yes, as long as they don't light anything on fire.")

The friends thought Myles was asleep as they talked and drank.  Then I called Myles for my nightly bedtime call, and Myles answered "Moe's and Joe's" -  a popular local bar. Busted.  Never underestimate Myles - even with his eyes closed pleasantly floating on morphine.

- Marcie

12 comments:

  1. My thoughts and prayers are with you all! These blogs are so beautiful! Myles, I'm sending hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you all. The posts are beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myles stay positive, sending lots of love and prayer your way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Myles - please accept my thoughts and prayers for you and your family. You are a truly amazing person and I have found your blog and your outlook to be inspirational! Ned S.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That Moe's and joe's comment is priceless. My husband and I went to bed talking about what an amazing family you all are and how we hoped we'd be even a quarter as cool/funny/brave you are. Thinking about you multiple times a day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am disappointed that my home computer did not post the super "game" comments. Was hoping for some of Myles's brilliant come backs...now even I cannot remember...was a IN THE MOMENT thing.... seagulls won...that is how it is now... lol love and prayers y'alls way. Dave and BUsters is FUN too Myles lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Marci and family:
    Today is my birthday and I lost both my parents to cancer too. I think of Myles often and my son and I have prayed for all of you nightly for many months. No words can really comfort you in what you are going through now.
    I just wanted to say Love Hugs and Miss You on Runs to Myles today
    LOve Robin

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcie...................our hearts, thoughts and prayers are with you and the kids..........

    ReplyDelete
  9. Marcie, you, Myles and your children have been a part of my daily prayers for strength, God's grace and serenity. Thank you for continuing to share Myles with all of us as you go through this difficult time. It is obvious that he chose a wife that truly complemented his humor and heart.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sending love, thoughts and prayers to you and your family on this most difficult day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. I knew Myles from Camp Barney and I have some fond memories of his humor and kindness. May you and your family find peace and comfort during this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so sorry to hear about Myles. I hope all of your wonderful memories comfort you and your family and always make you smile. Thinking of you and sending hugs and kisses!! xoxo

    ReplyDelete