Monday, April 25, 2011

The Beer - Chemo Connection

In responding to an inquiry from Todd Z., I had an epiphany. Chemo is like beer. How so? Let me count the ways:

1. Too much beer gives me a hangover; same is true of chemo
2. "Too much" beer is a lot less than it used to be; same for chemo
3. I used to recover from beer hangovers much more quickly than I do now; ditto for chemo
4. If I have a few beers, chances are it's when I'm out, but when I'm at home I might have one beer a night; with chemo, I get the big dose of nastiness at the doc's office, then take an oral chemo at home daily for two weeks (OK, that one's kind of a stretch).

There are differences too, of course.

1. As Marcie points out, beer can make people appear more attractive than they are (Beer goggles); chemo made my eyes blurry that one time, but ugly people were still ugly.
2. Beer make me want to eat spicy food that's bad for me, like wings; chemo makes me want to eat bland foods that are bad for me, like white rice and potatoes
3. Beer comes in a variety of convenient packages, from kegs to bottles and cans to growlers (what's a growler? Click Here and/or go to Hop City and ask for Kraig); chemo comes only in IV bags or pills.

Any more suggestions on how chemo and beer (or if you prefer, wine, apple-tini's, etc.) compare? Use the comment feature to share your thoughts!

2 comments: