Friday, April 29, 2011

Live From the Chemo Room - Episode 6

Greetings once again from John's Creek for Chemo - The Royal Wedding Edition.

I'm writing early because I feel a nap coming on. I didn't sleep much on the red eye from Lima Wednesday night, and since I'm such a huge fan of monarchies, I was of course up at 4:00a to watch live coverage on BBC America. Just kidding. Ali did come into our room around 6:30 and ask her dozing parents if the wedding was over yet, so we flipped on the telly and caught the final moments of the ceremony.

Now that K-Will is official, Fox News has turned to nonstop coverage of the devastation in Alabama, Georgia, and Tennessee.  Being Fox, they are focussed not on the human tragedy, but on the numbers - how many people died this week compared to the "great" Natchez twister of 1890-something. Really Fox?

Dr Z and I will be talking later today about The Plan. I'm ok with whatever he says, of course, but I'm really hoping this is the last round of Oxalyplatin, and while we're at it, I'd like to hear him say we can cut back on the Xeloda, my 14 day oral chemo. Marcie would like to see me stay on as much stuff as I can handle for as long as I can. Not that she wants to see me at sub-optimal, but she feels like the more meds I get, the less chance we have of this thing coming back. I know she's right about that, but smokers know it's not good for them to take a puff too. Sometimes you just want the thing that makes you feel good in the short term and to ignore the potential long term impact.

Speaking of things that make you feel good, I picked up another 3 loaves of the Best Challah Ever this morning. Great Harvest makes it, but only a couple of locations in town follow the same recipe that the Briarcliff location used. Since it closed, Adele and I have traded off pickup duties from way out here in JC. You get a free slice of bread when you go, so I started my day with essentially a cinnamon bun masquerading as bread. Yum!

I'll let you all know what Dr Z says. There should be a Pet Scan in the next 2 or 3 weeks, so this would be a great time for any shamans among my faithful readers to conjure up a prayer  - or some peyote.

1 comment:

  1. Have I told you lately how much I admire you? I will conjure the prayer, since I probably can't find peyote! (Bettie - can't figure out how to post other than Anonymous, which I don't mean to be :)

    ReplyDelete