Wednesday, May 4, 2011

This is No Longer Fun

If I had a publisher, they would probably tell me I'm nuts for giving a post that title. But I'm in a mood to be completely honest with you, dear readers. This round sucked, and it still sucks.

I was able to make it through a full day of work today, which is an improvement over yesterday's 2.5 hour afternoon nap. And yesterday's Imodium is still having the intended effect today, so that's also a good thing. But I have this hangover feeling, I describe it as a "metallic feeling in my face." The fatigue is also a factor and it's hard to concentrate for long periods. There are a few other minor issues like the tingling in my feet and hands when they are cold, but they aren't show stoppers.

Last round it was a full two weeks before I could exercise, and I fear this time may be the same or worse.

But here's the thing. I know, know, this is the path to getting better, to beating cancer. It may be a rocky, pot-hole filled path that I'm trying to navigate barefoot in my Flintstone-mobile, but it's the right path. And as much as I'd like to pull over, I won't. Next Thursday I start my day with a PET scan that will hopefully show that the cancer is all but gone. Whatever is left gets a little radiation zap this summer, and I can go on my merry way, taking some drugs for maintenance purposes but in less toxic levels. I've said all this before, but it helps me to repeat it, to remind myself of the goal.

Speaking of goals, David, Danny, Stu and I are making long term plans that just assume the news will continue to be good. We're all going to train for the inaugural Savannah Rock n' Roll Half Marathon in November. 13.1 is closer to my pace-per-mile than my peak distance these days, but we've got 6 months to change that.

Your encouraging pats on the back mean a lot. For example, it was great to hear from Wes this week and from Bettie just as I started to type this post. I know you're all pulling for me and for Marcie and the kids.

And while it's no longer fun, it is the right path. Thanks for helping me find my way.

4 comments:

  1. Not only are we going to have a great fun, successful race and grill out veggies in insane quantities, but you are going to be dragging my ass after the first 800 meters. I use meters now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You wrote~"And while it's no longer fun, it is the right path. Thanks for helping me find my way." INDEED Myles....it is the RIGHT path! You are in our prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thinking of you and Marcie and the kiddos. Hang tough and keep up that long term planning!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Telling the truth is always the best path in writing -- other things too. Thank you for always sharing the truth in these pages. It's a gift.

    ReplyDelete