Sunday, May 15, 2011

Looking Good!

"You look good!"

It's a phrase I'm happy to report I've heard a lot lately, from male and female, young and old. It is a compliment, and one I very much appreciate. Still, it rings a bit odd to me. I'm not someone who would normally comment on someone's appearance, at least not directly to them. (I have been guilty of commenting on the appearance of others, especially those in the public eye. But if you run for Vice President and you show up at rallies showing cleavage, I will call you out. Got it Mr. Biden?)

A few people I've seen this week hadn't seen me since this all began. Others, like the running crew, hadn't seem me much, at least not in daylight. So I found myself comparing the way they each said those 3 little words. I've categorized them as follows:

The obligee:  a well trained person who its going to comment something about you no matter what. ("Well, you look good") Would be just as likely to comment on one's new hairdo or wallpaper.

The disbeliever: says the words with a hint of surprise ("You look good), as if suspecting you might peel away your latex facade to reveal your true, chemo-worn face.

The shocked: can't imagine that's really you looking decent ("Wow, you look good!") Expected something from Bela Legosi's makeup artist.

The sincere: people who understand the physical and emotional stress that comes with this territory, and who are truly happy to see me looking relatively happy and healthy. ("You look good!") This of course is the majority of observers - you know who you are.

To anyone who had commented on my appearance recently, thank you. Your compliments do help keep me motivated.

And by the way, you look good too!

No comments:

Post a Comment