Thursday, September 1, 2011

Return of SuperMyles?

I was back on the track today with the OG Crew, which I recently pointed out on FB sounds like a gangsta rap group but isn't. They were zipping around doing 3 minute 800's (which is about 6 minute miles for those unfamiliar with track geometry), while I was sticking to their warm-up pace, more like 9 minute miles (you can do the conversion to 800's now if you'd like). The normally uber-fast Kate was jogging with me in her post-Hood-to-Coast recovery mode.

Just for fun, I decided to tag along with the zippers for a couple of 400's, and had respectable laps of 1:38 and 1:40, respectively. I always wanted to used respectable and respectively in the same sentence and now I have - twice. After another couple jogging laps, this time with Mary-Gay, I decided to see if my alter-ego SuperMyles was still available for duty. Back in the day, SuperMyles would start out with all the other runners, but then would kick in the booster rockets on the final turn to the amazement of most, including me.

SuperMyles was indeed available, and although he fired those boosters a bit too early, he was still able to coast home in a 1:27. That's somewhere in the high 5:40's pace per mile, and it felt really, really good.

SuperMyles may be coming soon to a track near you, weather and chemo permitting!

(Just for you, E)

PS - Love the Garmin Connect website.


3 comments:

  1. take the question mark off this post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good pace! In my one year of high school track I managed a :59 1/4 and 4:59 mile. Should have stuck with it. I am back running again and feeling good about that, but not sure I'll see those paces again! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Steve - You (were) da man! Well, you're still da man in my book...

    ReplyDelete