Monday, November 28, 2011

Live From the Chemo Room #15

As Huey Lewis once crooned, I Want a New Drug. And just like Huey, I am switching my bone-regrowth elixir to something called Xgeva, which according to one person on staff here “we must’ve gotten a good deal on because it’s our preferred drug.” I found that funny, then disturbing, then funny again.  Dr. Z tells me it’s better because it’s a shot, not an infusion. 




I also met Nellie today. She has small-cell lung cancer, the kind you can get without being a smoker. She came over to me because one of the other patients in the waiting room told her I was an author. She’s not doing too well today, but I’m not sure if that’s a temporary thing or a bigger deal. She’s been fighting for 2.5 years. The cancer is gone from her lung, but it keeps coming back elsewhere.  She asked if I go to church, and invited me to come to hers, a Church of Christ location in Buford, GA, which I imagine means lots of fire and brimstone.  I’m thinking about it…

Otherwise, things have been good lately. It was great to have a family Thanksgiving with my dad and Marcie's folks, and then to spend time with my cousins on Friday, just like old times, only everyone else seemed much older. Funny how that happens - to other people.

No comments:

Post a Comment