Monday, November 14, 2011

Surviving and Thriving

If you've read my book, you've heard of Dawn, who's going on nine years as a survivor of colorectal cancer. Dawn's my hero - she's the one who taught me the valuable lesson that Stage Doesn't Matter. Her cancer was Stage IV and had metastasized to her liver. I used to think that meant certain death. I was wrong.

Dawn not only survived, she has thrived. It wasn't easy, but today Dawn is healthy, happy, full of energy and a tireless supporter of the Colon Cancer Alliance's Undy 5000 run. She was the top fundraiser this year, and was the top female finisher among the survivors who ran this past Saturday. As she said after the race, given her stature, she has to run twice as many steps as most of the other runners, including that tall guy next to her, the one who was the fastest male survivor in the race. Nice legs on that guy, I must say.

Way to go Dawn, the members of Team Blue is the Next Pink, and all of those who helped us raise over $100,000 in the Atlanta Undy 5000 race this weekend!

2 comments:

  1. Dawn is my sister (well sister-in-law but we don't use that term). She is an inspiration to all her know her. Congratulations to Team Blue and the other runners and supporters. I wish I could have been there to cheer you on. Nice legs on both of you! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is great! And the Undy 500 in Indy is pretty funny as well!

    ReplyDelete