Sunday, January 29, 2012

A Purposeful Run

It happened again.

Yesterday was another training run at Phidippides for the upcoming Georgia Marathon and Half-Marathon. When I was helping with registration, a woman came up to the table wearing a "Cancer Sucks" sweatshirt. I told her I liked it. The sweatshirt, not cancer.

There were 40 or 50 runners in our group and on the return portion of the out-and-back course, I saw her again. I turned and jogged with her for a few steps, learning that she was a survivor. "Seven months" she told me with well-deserved pride.

I greeted her at the end of the 8 mile run with a copy of my book. She was genuinely thrilled. I learned that this was her first run back after treatment, and while I don't necessarily recommend 8-milers for one's return to running, I was very happy she'd chosen that day and that event. I was inspired by her, and she said she was inspired by me. Sort of a Mutual Inspiration Society.

Towauna's friend took our picture, and I hope I'll get a copy of it to add to this post.

Keep running my friends, and keep Kickin Cancer's Butt!

No comments:

Post a Comment