Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Live From the Chemo Room 31

Long day ahead today We added a new medicine that takes 2 hours to infuse, so my total chair time will be in the 7 - 8 hour range today. Sheesh!

Marcie brought me lunch and hung out for a while, along with Danny G. Danny is my healthy eating hero - gluten-free and paleo. He brought me some awesome snacks from Trader Joe's to help nudge me more in that same direction.

I thought I'd use this post to share my thoughts on Lance Armstrong and Livestrong. The short version is pretty simple, Lance cheated and his foundation does lots of good. Hate the founder, not his charity.

But, it can be more complicated for some people. I've even heard of big donors to Livestrong asking for their money back because their support was based on Lance who is now know to be a liar. But that's kinda lame, IMHO. If Jerry Lewis turns out to be a child molester, should I get my money back from all those Labor Day telethons I supported?

Of course not. Which person with cancer should not receive referral to helpful resources now that Lance is a convicted doper? Who no longer deserves a free guidebook to navigating through a cancer diagnosis and treatment? The mission of the foundation is clearly being met. Livestrong is among the most efficient charities in financial terms, with over 80 cents of every dollar of donated funds being used directly in it program services (as opposed to G&A expenses).

I have benefitted from the work at Livestrong. They introduced me to Imerman Angles and their website lead me to my colorectal cancer support group. I continue to support the organization. My Twitter profile picture includes the iconic Livestrong wristband.  My daughter even has the word livestrong in her e-mail address. As you may have already read I delivered a Livestrong Guidebook to my friend Jerry this past weekend.

I'm deeply disappointed in Lance Armstrong  but not for doping. He continues to profess his innocence while not formally pursuing any appeal of the latest findings. I think he's lying, and like it or not, some people won't support the charity he helped to start because of his lies. I think he would do a world of good to admit to whatever he's done, and to apologize, so that donors don't stop supporting the great work of Livestrong.

There, I'm off my soapbox and settling back into my lounger.

No comments:

Post a Comment