Monday, October 8, 2012

(Not So) Live from the Chemo Room 29

The astute among you have already asked me, "so where's the post you promised on Friday?" I'd like to say I can chalk it up to a case of post-Braves Blues, or even worse, a post-Dawgs Depression, both of which were cured by Falcons Fever, but that wasn't the case. Actually, you dear readers had to wait in line while Marcie and I talked to the kids and our folks first.

What we told our families is that the latest scans show some tiny spots that are starting to show activity. Dr. Z says we don't need to be in a huge hurry, but I don't want to play "wait and see" with this. So, I'm going to be starting a new round of chemo this week, the kind where you spend a good 6 or 7 hours at the Doctor's office getting pumped full of Draino.This will be a little different that the last time because this new routine also earns me a little pump that I'll take home and play with for 48 hours, like my own personal Tamagotchi

The good news is this new routine, called Folfiri + Erbitux, will probably be a little easier on me than the original one was, at least in the ways that matter, like fatigue and nausea. The downside is that I'll probably lose my hair and develop an acne-like rash that would look right at home on a 14 year old. I know, so sexy, right?

I really don't give a sh&% about my hair, but we were hoping to avoid that for the kids sake. "Daddy's tired" is a card I can pull every now and then, but every time they see me, it will be a reminder that I'm not all the way better yet. I'd rather they not have to deal with that. As the kids might say, "That's not fair!"

Here's a little preview, compliments of a cool app I added to my phone.

8 comments:

  1. Bald was not my best look, either, Myles. Sorry for the continued indignities that "treatment" offers... Like you, I think the idea that once I lost my hair I was visibily identified by others as a "cancer patient" was the biggest pisser of all. I preferred to just "play the role" of patient while getting my infusion... I didn't want to have to play it while not in the chemo room!! Pity looks = no thanks!! Big hugs to you, my soon-to-be-bald friend. The hair grows back. But with luck, the rat bast*rd cancer cells don't.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they are picking team for the cheerleading competition, I want Betsy!

      Delete
  2. No one is looking at your hair Myles - not with that happy smile of yours! Martha Henson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, at least you have an excuse for being (temporarily) bald! Miles, your attitude continues to amaze and inspire me man.
    - Speece

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thinking about you Myles! Sending lots of love to you from your crazy family.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, cuz' ! Back at you and your crazy family too!

      Delete