Saturday, December 22, 2012

Happy Cancerversary To Me!

It's been two years since this chapter in my life started. Two years since the pain in my back and legs lead to that WTF? moment. Two years since I laid face down on the table while a needle was inserted in my pelvis with jackhammer-like dexterity. Two years since we waited, and waited, and waited for the results. Two years since we heard the news we didn't want to hear.

In December of 2010, if you had an iPhone you could only use it on AT&T. Your iPad was first generation. The average price of gas was $2.93. Damn, I love Wikipedia!

In the the time that has passed, I've had 34 infusions, 10 sessions of radiation therapy, 10 more stereotactic radiation sessions, and umpteen other visits to Dr Z and a handful of other docs.

I've also lived my life.

I've celebrated my kids' birthdays 4 times (3 kids, two are twins, you can do the math).
I've celebrated anniversaries #18 and 19 with Marcie.
I've run 1055.2 miles, including 3 half-marathons, 2 Peachtree Road Races (one with Adam), and a couple of Father's Day runs, 1 with each son.
I've raised the Torah at my son's Bar Mitzvah.
I've been to Peru, Brazil, Costa Rica, Austria, and the Czech Republic, and I spent a day in Paris.
I've been to Disney World.
I've taken each of the kids to at least one UGA Football Game, and I travelled on the team plane to see the Falcons play in Chicago.
I've written a book, but you knew that already.

I've learned to appreciate the time I have with my family. I love when we're all together, even if we're spread out across the living room and kitchen, with the TV on, a couple of laptops open.

I've gotten better about not sweating the small stuff.

While I'm still a long way from being the person I want to be, I'm closer than I was two years ago, cancer notwithstanding.

Happy New Year to you, and Happy Cancerversary to me!

4 comments:

  1. Happy Cancerversary to you Myles. And many more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year to you all, Myles, and happy cancerversary!

    ReplyDelete
  3. May this coming 2013 be a fulfilling year for you, Marcie and the kids... Happy Cancerversaty, Myles!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very eloquent, my friend. - Bettie

    ReplyDelete