Thursday, December 13, 2012

Live From the Chemo Room 34

Greetings from Dr. Z's fabulous new office in Johns Creek. The practice moved from inside the hospital to a building across the street. The space is much bigger, with more windows, more chemo chairs, and most importantly, a coffee/hot chocolate machine in the chemo lounge. This is apparently meant to help keep the spouses, friends, and caregivers awake during the endless loop of court shows and soap operas that will soon be showing on the >60 inch TV.

There's a room where they mix the chemo drugs, which was hidden from view in the old office. Here, it's directly behind the nurses' desk, visible through two glass-doored cubes that, for lack of a better description, look like airlocks on a spaceship. I don't know how toxic that stuff on the other side of the wall is, but if it requires airlocks, I'm not sure I want it to be infused into my bloodstream.

I like the new digs, but I'd be lying if I told you I'm enjoying them. I'd really prefer not to be here, especially this week, when I have plenty going on at work. But I did get a good reminder from Bill, the bloodsucker (a.k.a. the nurse who did my labs today) of why I'm here. He's 13 years removed from treatment for leukemia and cancer-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment