Thursday, February 24, 2011

Live from the Chemo Room, Episode 3

Today may set a new record. We've managed to add Zometa, a non-chemo drug that helps strengthen bones when you've had a bone metastasis, to the chemo schedule that already has two infusions, plus all the anti-nausea and other drips. I had been on an every 4 week schedule for Zometa and every 3 for the other drugs. Dr. Z recognized the inconvenience of that schedule (he inherited) and fixed it.  So it saves me from a separate trip, but I'm thinking we'll hit 7 hours today.

Marcie is with me this morning, and Danny G. is making the schlep this afternoon. Danny needs to be careful. When they see people with little or no hair on their head around here, the nurses start sticking needles in them. They can't help it.


No TV today so far, so the other 4 patients and I must entertain ourselves. Marcie and I got two audiobooks for our drive to TN last weekend, so I'm listening to Bill Bryson's A Walk in the Woods, which tells the story of the author's attempt to hike the entire Appalachian Trail. I've learned that he is an incredibly funny writer and that my lifelong aversion to camping was well-founded. Don't get me wrong, the scenic beauty part sounds attractive, and I did enjoy the occasional overnight adventure back at Camp Barney Medintz. It's weeks and weeks of digging one's own latreen and sleeping among the mice on shelter platforms that I could do without. Some people see marathon runners and ask "why?" I'm looking at AT hikers and asking the same thing.

I have a business trip in a couple weeks. I'll be in Peru for a few days. Quick aside - we're going to visit a supplier of carbon for the steel industry. The carbon comes from a coal derivative called "coke." So, I'm going to meet with a potential new Peruvian coke dealer! Dr. Z's cool with the trip, and says my plan of wearing a mask on the plane is silly. "Do you really think that mask is going to stop a virus from getting in?" he asks. Guess not. But I will wash my hands obsessively and avoid the local agua.

When I get back, we'll do a PET Scan. Assuming Dr Z likes what he sees, I'm probably in for 3 more rounds of chemo, another PET scan, and then hopefully dropping back into maintenance mode, meaning staying on 2 of my 3 chemo meds (1 infusion, 1 oral), but dropping the one with the worst of the side effects. That's a plan I can live with. Literally.

Shout out to Rob for the Chemo Eve run after work yesterday, to travel doc Mitchell Blass for the low down on avoiding the Perils of Peru, and to Sandi for the care package of stuff from the Livestrong conference, the books, etc. Oh, and to Adele and Jules (Jane) thanks for giving me a couple nights off from making dinner. And to all who continue to ask how I'm doing, I thank you for your concern, and I'm happy to report that all's well.

I'm planning to keep it that way!

1 comment:

  1. Walk in the woods-- sooooooooo funny! Excellent choice for car ride

    Looking forward to Peruvian posts!

    ReplyDelete