Thursday, January 16, 2014

Myles Update 1/16/14

Every morning at the hospital, the staff and Myles set a goal for the day.  First it was sitting up, then sitting in a chair, etc.  Today when I arrived at the hospital, the goal said "Clean Hair."  I read it a few times, trying to see if it really said something like "Move to Chair," but it never changed.  Just "clean hair."  Well, it turns out that when you're 6'1" and tower over all the nurses and need help getting around, moving to the shower for clean hair isn't the best option.  So, our nurse, in a Caribbean accent told Myles, "Well, you can do what the ladies do."  This didn't scare Myles.  He is, after all, a goal-oriented guy.  If he can run a 26-mile marathon he's man enough to "do what the ladies do."

As it turns out, "the ladies" use some sort of shower cap contraption that is heated in the microwave, put on your head, and contains water and shampoo that is rubbed onto your hair.  After that, you towel dry your hair.  Myles was not very forthcoming about how rubbing a warm shower cap with shampoo that's not rinsed out cleans your hair, but who am I to tell him he didn't reach his goal today? I'm just mad there are no pictures of this spa experience.

I did get to witness some excitement today.  Myles's physical therapists helped him move into a wheelchair and he did one lap around the floor.  I was initially puzzled how, with one good arm and leg, he could do much more than spin around in circles, but there's a trick involving using his good leg as a rudder. He rolled around the floor weaving like a drunk driver, but he finished lap #1. Pretty terrific!  It was wonderful to see him up and out of bed.

Myles went through many of your messages, posts, and wonderful words of support this morning and they mean so much to him.   You guys are the best!

- Marcie

7 comments:

  1. The doctor always told me not to let my kids use walkers when they were just beginning to get up and around...to simply keep them in an exersaucer as it is safer. Not sure about the thought of Miles loose in the halls at Emory using one leg in a wheelchair. Sounds like a similar risk. Just keep him away from the stairs! Positive thoughts your way sweet Miles - and all the Beskind crew!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sending you all of your love and support from chicago!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good Morning to my cousin Myles , I look forward to reading updates from Marcie to see how your progress is going and I know you will reach your daily goals . You are so brave to have the strength to go through this again .I don't think I could be as strong and brave as you have been . I love you and.I pray far you and your family . Look forward to checking up on you later have a great day .Love your cousin Susie

    ReplyDelete
  4. GREAT FRIDAY MORNING to everyone! Marcie, PLEASE put a note on the walls and bed etc.. PICTURES A MUST for ALL activities and chores! KIDDING, we need VIDEO too! lol
    Myles, keep up the GREAT WORK! Maybe it was not the massage you wanted your whole life, but the shower cap massage was worth a buck or two I bet....gotta feel and smell better! Our prayers continue for all and Marcie....you should help write the next book, you two would definitely make the BEST SELLERS list for sure with your GREAT sense of humor through what others would call a dark time. Y'all are the greatest and so strong.....your FAITH gets y'all AND US through this unknowing time! Sandy and David

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcie - your notes bring both a smile and a tear. How wonderfully strong you both are! Look forward to reading the updates and love how you make all of us appreciate life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Marcie,
    I just posted on an earlier update. My first blog posting and setting up an blog profile. Wish it were under happier circumstances. In case you didn't see it, just want you and Myles to know that you are in my thoughts and I am sending you much love and support. It seems that your sense of humor is getting you through this time. I am also thinking of your children. You are both terrific parents and I know they are getting what they need!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "Do what the ladies do"? I'm a lady and I've never done that! Anyway, thanks for that great picture in my head.
    Sending lots of love!

    ReplyDelete