Saturday, January 25, 2014

Myles Update, 1/25/14

A close friend informed me today that when posting updates about a person in hospice care, skipping a day or two can cause some people to jump to, well, some not-so-good conclusions.  I didn't mean to scare anyone. So, for those concerned, Myles is still contributing mightily to Zesto's bottom line.  He did branch out today, from the standard vanilla malt to a butterscotch shake after he heard a story involving a Zesto butterscotch shake.  I think my new friends at Zesto were thrown for a loop. Please, no one mention the Chubby Decker to Myles....

The last few days have been good.  We're settling into more of a routine, with the kids coming to see Myles with me at dinnertime.  Thanks to all of you who have provided wonderful dinners for us to take and enjoy together as a family.  It's one less thing for us to worry about, plus, since Myles has spoiled me by cooking for the past 22 years, we'd likely all end up with food poisoning if I cooked.

To those of you who would like to visit Myles, please know he really appreciates your desire to visit. Sometimes he isn't up to visitors, and even if he is, he can only handle a few visitors a day for short times.  Otherwise, we end up in a situation like we did the other day, when the number of visitors wiped him out so much that he barely interacted with the kids when they came for dinner.

Thanks to our amazing friend Dara, who, in a superhuman effort to be the 'gatekeeper' and enforce Myles's wishes about visitors, is sometimes put in awkward situations.  We appreciate and love you more than you know.

I'm falling asleep as I type, so it's time to say goodnight....

- Marcie

10 comments:

  1. It's always good to have a gatekeeper!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Goodnight stars, goodnight air, goodnight Beskinds everywhere...sweet dreams xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gatekeeping is Dara's gift! Thinking of you all with love and blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Marcie, and just so you can be relieved from the idea that I'm going to get in my car and drive from Pensacola to see you guys, although it has crossed my mind...but now I am too scared of Dara. You have been in my thoughts and prayers still. I believe in all of that cosmic energy stuff so to all of your blog readers, here's a shout out for prayer and meditation for the Beskind family peace and Myles' energy, awareness and humor! I've become spiritual in my old age...(and read the entire blog, guess I need to order the book now...).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gate keepers are good...and Dara is a pretty awesome one...after all, who are we to interfere with that precious, precious family time in the evening?? This is the part where it isn't about us, but about your family. Love you all.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You could wish for no better or more diplomatic gatekeeper than Dara. She will offend no one and handles "awkward" like it's a sweet baby. Zesto's is a hop skip and jump away from us and I am available to add to the Zesto bottom-line by making regular deliveries. Just text me at 404-313-0190, (Need Zesto's) and I will be there. Reminder to yourselves, when people offer to do this sort of thing, please do not hesitate to take them up on it, we REALLY do mean it. M Henson

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Marcie,
    Thank you for the updates on Myles and his hospice living. I don't know what part of town he is in but I'm in the downtown Atlanta area if you need ANYTHING please let me know and I will jump into action and help.
    I said a special prayer for Myles, you and your children at Mass today :-)
    I hope you have a wonderful evening.
    Nina Nunez

    ReplyDelete
  8. Marcie,
    Thank you to you and your amazing family; because in the midst of this difficult time, you continue to inspire us ("us" being the Keil family but I'd bet there are others as well) to live full and meaningful lives, teach us how to love (selflessly) and remind us what is truly important.
    Please know that you are in our thoughts and prayers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gotta LOVE the Gatekeepers! (and knowing you have the "right" one .. sigh of relief!) we all understand! The reason David and I have not visited, knowing it wears him down, but we pray y'all KNOW we would be there at a drop at a pen! We should buy stock in Zestos! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking of all of you every day. Just know how much people care...even people who have been out of the loop for a while. Peace be with you.

    ReplyDelete