Thursday, January 23, 2014

Myles Update, 1/22/14

The word of the day is 'overwhelmed'.  Overwhelmed in a mostly good way.  We are completely overwhelmed by the love, support, prayers, comments and posts, and the memories that have been pouring in. They mean so much to Myles.  How wonderful for him to know the impact he's had on people and to get a chance to reminisce and laugh about stories (and pictures) from the past.

I'm also overwhelmed, ok, freaked out, by the number of people reading this blog.  There were 1,601 views yesterday.  And I'm not the writer in our family.  That's Myles's role. I'm doing this for purely selfish reasons - because I can't possibly respond to all the emails and calls I receive checking on Myles while spending time at hospice, being with the kids, and working.  And being the Type A person who feels she has to respond to all emails and texts, communicating to everyone at once via this blog is much less stressful.  But 1,601 people?  Oy.

Myles's first full day in hospice was a really good day.  He says he's much happier here than in the hospital, and it shows.  He's more relaxed and engaged with us.  Talking isn't that easy as it takes a lot of breath, but he still gets more correct answers on Jeopardy than the kids and I combined.  Other than being tired and quieter, Myles is his regular self and we're grateful for that.  We're especially grateful he's comfortable and not in pain. The nurses keep offering drugs, but Myles usually says he's fine and doesn't need them. And no, they're not transferrable.

I'll try to continue to updating this blog, or hopefully convince/coerce Myles to post, as frequently as possible. I'm very grateful to his old friends who stay with him at night so I can go home with the kids without worrying, the wonderful nurses and staff at hospice, and all of you.

- Marcie  



13 comments:

  1. Marcie and Myles, we're thinking about you with love and sending warmest hugs.
    Julie Buchwalter/Doug Strohl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcie, you are doing wonderfully! Please know, the prayers, love and all support is working behind the scenes and the front line you do not see, isn't it great to FEEL the prayers and love, not only to read them, but to genuinely FEEL them. What a blessing! Please let Myles know, the grand daughters, Malia and Bella, sing their nick names Myles gave them EVERY day (Manumanum lol) and all their (our) prayers have the Beskind family in them every single time! We are so very blessed to know and be so inspired by such a great family! Love and God Bless!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marcie: Michelle and I are thinking of all of you....selfishly I am thinking about sinking monster sushi boats with Myles back in the day in Pembroke Pines....you are in our prayers and thanks for being so strong as to continue to keep everyone updated! much love, Steve

    ReplyDelete
  4. We have the honor of being your neighbors and have the privilege of seeing your wonderful family on a regular basis. Please know we are keeping you in our prayers and lifting your family up daily.
    Deborah & Melton

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marcie, I know the stress that comes with this stage and I can only tell you that you, Myles and your family have our prayers, our love and support. Try to rest and enjoy the time. Say everything.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Marcie and Myles,

    There are no words to express how inspiring your lives are. So often we (I) forget about the blessings of life because of the storms. I am literally speechless at the thought of how courageous and strong you are, in spite of it all. Please know that your family is in my thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much for your light. It is shining on us all.

    BIG HUGS!!

    Dione :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Myles and Marcie, I wrote some really funny things last night in a comment but didnt post so hopefully this gets through. Anyway, in sympathy, I have decided to take my own pain meds which is pretty easy living here in Colo - land of the eternal pot party.
    We think of you guys constantly and have a lot of chatter among Touche and Tull alumni.Thinking back at the nights at Va Highlands, trying to get you too hooked up, etc. are great memories. Love from us all in Denver.
    Stuart

    ReplyDelete
  8. The strongest among us are the ones who smile through silent pain, cry behind closed doors, and fight battles nobody knows about while laughing in the face of adversity. Myles and Marcie, that's you and your strong family. Our thoughts are with you. Martha Henson

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the updates. You all are an amazing family. Holding all of you in our hearts and sending smiles to Myles.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Myles and Marcie, I have had a hard time posting, so if you receive multiple messages, sorry. I just want you to know that one of my favorite memories of all times was hiking to Pulpit Rock with you guys and doing some traveling. I know you two were ready to ditch me. Lol. After all I was reading every sign out loud and didn't even realize it. Know that you both are in my heart and many people are fighting with you. If you need anything, I am north of you and would do anything for either of you. I just hate that so many years have passed. Much love. Evan (Brown) Hanson

    ReplyDelete
  12. Myles and Marcie, I was at the school yesterday for PiBites and we got to watch the amazing talented kids rehearse a dance piece for the High School musical - can't wait to see the full performance this week. Adam is always so wonderful every year! I know you are so very very proud of him! I am. Martha Henson

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wishing you an easy night. Lots of love, Beth Intro

    ReplyDelete