Sunday, March 13, 2011

Big Week

Tomorrow is PET scan day. I received a call on Friday, surprisingly not a robo-call, from Emory Hospital confirming my appointment and going through the usual precautions: nothing to eat after midnight, drink only water before the scan, no exercising starting Sunday. WTH? (see, this is a family blog or I might have used a different WT_ ). I'm no nuclear medicine tech, but how is my Pet scan going to "know" if I did 50 push-ups while watching the Man U game on Fox Soccer Channel? (I didn't). Is my chemo regimen going to be altered if I ride my bike the the Purim Carnival? (I didn't). Are they going to think I have cancer in my hamstrings if I run 2.6 miles including going to the Nature Preserve, once around the trail, and back home the long way again? (no comment).

We, Marcie and I, have somehow equated the fact that I'm feeling pretty good to the fact that chemo must be working. I'm not sure there's really a correlation there, but the only sign I had cancer, the back pain, is long gone. So if I don't feel like I have cancer, I must not have (much) cancer anymore, right? Just go with it.

Just in case, and on a good note, we got some genetic test results last week that give us a plan B - a different form of chemotherapy that could also work on my type of cancer. Apparently, there are times when one wants to be Wild Type, and time when it's better to be Mutant. Sounds like a sci-fi double feature  to me. "Attack of the Mutant Genes" followed by "Wild Types Invade" both in 3D so they can charge you an extra 5 bucks to rent the glasses. What a freaking ripoff. Marcie took the littles to the Justin Beiber flick today and it was only showing in 3D. I'm pretty sure that little outing cost us more than dinner on Trivia Night at Napolean's. That, by the way, is 2 free mentions in a row for Napolean's (make it 3). Somebody make sure the Keenan's are reading this. Anyway,. I was the right type to be a good candidate for that other chemo drug, just in (no pun intended) case.

Wish me luck as I slide into the Cone of Silence. Don't think I can use my shoe-phone from in there to blog, so I'll update you in a few days once we talk results with Dr. Z.
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.7

1 comment:

  1. Sending good vibes your way and believing with you that if you don't feel like you have cancer then you don't and you have kicked its butt all the way around the block (which you didn't run before your scan) :-)

    ReplyDelete