Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sold!

Last night was Cliff Valley School's Annual Auction, an event Marcie and I have been involved with for 10 years. When we started projecting chemo dates vs. life events, this one didn't look too good. Only 2 days after an infusion, and I was scheduled to be a co-auctioneer with Head of School, Michael Edwards, and the incredibly dedicated Former Parent, and 10-time auctioneer Jim Roberts. Apparently Jim remains a parent, but his kids are now schooled elsewhere. I'd warned my amigos they might have to pull it off without me this year.

"A Night on the Reef" was the theme, and even though my ocean steward friend Steve might have preferred the 250 attendees spend the night learning "about," the reef or wading "near" it, rather than "on" the reef, it was well done, decorated, and scored. As the silent auction ended and patrons settled in for dinner, the ping of a submarine over the speakers told them something was up. Jim , Michael and I "swam" in from the back to the Jaws theme in full on diving gear: flippers, masks, (thanks Danny G!) and even a diving bell helmet for Michael.

The auction was a huge success, and I shared a wonderful moment with the Harrison family on stage as we drew the winner of a 50/50 raffle in which half the proceeds went to the winner and half to the Mark Harrison Scholarship Fund. Mark was a dear friend and a passionate supporter of Cliff Valley whom we lost suddenly less than two years ago. He owned a radio advertising agency, and he twisted the arm of every media outlet in town for auction donations for many years. I told the story of visiting the WSB studios last Fall with A&J's 4th grade class. As we were filing out of White Columns, a few WSB employees passed us in the hall. One woman notice the kids wearing Cliff Valley T-Shirts, and exclaimed "Cliff Valley? That's Mark Harrison's School!" Indeed.

I was equally touched last night by the number of people who came up to Marcie and/or me to remark about how good I looked. Now this happened quite often in years past, naturally, but this year seemed to have a deeper meaning.  The truth is I felt great last night, had a great time, and was reminded how much I appreciate  being a part of that very caring and supportive community.

1 comment:

  1. We just made it-- saw Leah and missed you guys. Another great night--

    ReplyDelete