Thursday, March 17, 2011

Live from the o'Chemo Room 4

Call it the luck o' the not-so-Irish. Dr. Z says the PET results are good, really good. Actually he said "great!" Both the size of the lesion and activity level of the cancer cells are way down, meaning I'm responding really well to the chemo. He says we don't often see results this good this quickly. Probably 3 or 4 more rounds just to be sure we've gotten it all.

Now if only we had this much luck with insurance, although given a choice I'll take beating cancer over hassle free insurance any day. The cost Czars at Aetna have decided that the oral chemo drug I take, the one they have allowed me to get at a retail pharmacy twice this year, now must be ordered through their mail order specialty pharmacy. Of course they tell us this yesterday, and I'm supposed to start that drug today. A day or two delay isn't a big deal clinically, but it annoys me and adds to my 14 days of being "on" chemo.

They've also apparently had a rash of people loading up on anti-nausea meds, because I can't get my Zofran refill until Saturday. Luckily I have 3 of those babies stashed away so I won't spend tomorrow feeling like I'm on the SS Minnow. I was going to try my hand at crystal meth making with it, but now I have to buy Sudafed like everyone else.

Oh, and starting at noon, that TV is mine. Let the Madness begin!

UPDATE - The number we were talking about this morning is called the SUV (Standardized Uptake Value), and it's a ratio that measures the rate at which that radioactive stuff they injected into me in  The Box on Monday is absorbed by the lesion. Lower numbers mean less cancer, basically, Mine dropped by about 75%. 

Vegas called, your odds of beating this thing just got way, way better.

4 comments:

  1. You are too funny Myles! You have been watching entirely to much " Breaking Bad" episodes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay--for your awesome sense of humor and your numbers!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myles, what happy news-- great, great, great!

    and shame on those insurance companies. everlasting shame. E.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AWESOME news! Lets keep the GREAT news coming GOD BLESS!

    ReplyDelete