Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Can I kick it?


Many thanks to one of my farthest-away, yet closest supporters, Ghila, for today's musical inspiration... Listen past the first few seconds, there's a song in there.

I'm told my late-night posting is not as concise, so I'll try to stick to respectable hours. Today's amazing moment was when I received a call around 6 pm from Sherrie, the nurse at Dr. Z's. I had called her yesterday at a particularly low point before certain meds had kicked in to control the GI fun. She was concerned about me and wanted to make sure everything was under control. So she called me. On her time. And, no, Stu B, I don't think it's because she's fallen under my spell.

I can't even begin to compare that to the experience I and others have had at our favorite local University hospital. Just today one of our readers was abandoned for hours on end, left to decide whether it was important to reconnect the heart monitor after going to the bathroom. Answer: yes it was important, but nobody came to check when it wasn't reconnected for over an hour, so disconnected or dying apparently nets the same response. Not seeing an actual doctor for 18 hours until literally dressed to leave, missing procedures because the staff on the floor forgot - you know, the usual.

Sorry, I know this is supposed to be about me getting better, but now I'm just getting pissed. Some of our closest friends are amazing doctors and nurses working in that very hospital, and we literally owe our lives to their dedication, and to the great medical work that gets done there. The people working there know everything there is to know about treating patients, but treating people? That's where the institution falls flat on its face.

Well, I feel better now... And like I said, that's what this is supposed to be about, isn't it?


1 comment:

  1. So Thankful you are feeling a bit better! Continue "pressing On" and "Yes you CAN" attitude! Like the tune!
    Oh...and "KICK IT" any way you can, preferrably with natures Oraganic herbals, cause the synthetics are just that, a synthetic, but glad the synthetics are working for you..I know you are a "health nut" .. whatever works..can't wait till you help find a cure for the dadblasted demon!

    ReplyDelete