Monday, January 10, 2011

Twas the Night Before Chemo

And all through my head, not a brain cell was rested as I lay there in bed.
I wondered if chemo my stomach would turn or whether the IV would make my veins burn
My doctor had told me there was little to fear, no nausea nor hair loss would likely appear
Some tingling in hands and feet could be felt, "Peripheral Neuropathy" I think it is spelt.
Still chemo makes cancer seem so much more real, and I'm not really sure how that makes me feel
I'm a fighter, an athlete, and a warrior I say, but Ali, Jordan, and Sun Tzu had their bad days
A day when for all one's bravado and talk, you wonder if you really can walk the walk
Oh I'll beat this for sure - I have not a doubt, but tough guys like me still can call time out
To catch one's breath, to remember why you've chosen to punch cancer right in the eye
To be there for family first and foremost, and to be able to one day stand up and boast
"I won or I tied, I'm not really sure, buying time till they told me 'We now have a cure'"


Me on Chemo Eve
Big C has no idea
what's coming!
(Actually, chemo has been delayed a week due to the weather in the Atlanta area, but I had this one written, so I figured I'd post it anyway)

UPDATE - Now we're on for this Thursday for my first Chemo. I guess those cancer cells just couldn't wait to start getting their butts kicked. Here I come, like Jimmy Superfly Snuka off the top rope! (Ladies, ask your husbands or other men who watched wrestling in the 70's on Superstation 17). 

2 comments:

  1. looking MEAN and tooo LEAN..fatten up and kick Cancers butt!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chemo eve...kicking cancer's butt...this blog screams MAKE ME INTO A GRAPHIC NOVEL. MOVIE RIGHTS!

    ReplyDelete